Liver disease in dogs? Dogs are like human beings when it comes to thinking about body parts because they also consist of kidney, heart, lungs, brain, liver, and many other body parts. All these body parts are very crucial for the life of any dog because their active life depends on these body parts. One significant portion of a dog is the liver, which is vital for its survival.
It gets said that dogs face many problems related to the liver because it is one of the central parts of the body. All these significant problems can threaten the life of a dog in worse conditions. Thus, any owner must have awareness related to liver problems that can have a substantial impact on the growth of any dog. It is essential to keep in mind some basic signs as well as causes related to liver diseases, which can help owners in keeping care of dog proper food with time.
Liver disease in dogs symptoms
The liver helps in performing many works inside the body as it helps in detoxifying blood of the body, breaking down of any drug, and it helps in good stabilization of source of energy. The liver also helps in storing the number of vitamins as well as glycogen and helps in producing bile acid, which is very necessary for digestion.
The organ gets used to performing various tasks in the body, so it is clear from this that it can cause a large variety of diseases and then affecting the working of the body. It has a cascade effect over other body systems. Common signs of liver disease in dogs are diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, decreased appetite, much urination, an increase in the amount of drinking, jaundice (yellowish tinge in some parts like eyes, gums, as well as ears) changes get occurred in stool color or other neurologic symptoms include symptoms like suffering from depression, disorientation, seizures, blindness, head pressing, and often changing of personality.
- One particular sign of any liver disease in dogs is jaundice. It gets noticed that while any dog has jaundice, dogs will surely have a yellowish tinge in some parts like eyes, gums, as well as ears. It gets experimented that a liver secretes bilirubin, which is a by-product of the breakdown of a red blood cell. If the liver is not working correctly, this bilirubin builds in blood and then appears on some body parts while having jaundice.
- Another sign of liver disease is Hepatic encephalopathy. It is one of the illnesses in dogs in which neurologic symptoms get collected because of any liver disease in the body of the pet, which can include symptoms like suffering from depression, disorientation, seizures, blindness, head pressing, and often changing of personality.
- One more common liver disease sign is gastrointestinal system problems like suffering from diarrhea, vomiting, weight loss, decreased appetite, much urination, an increase in the amount of drinking, and changes get occurred in stool color. It gets said that while suffering from these problems, dogs can usually get affected by developed retention in fluid in part of the abdomen, which gets noted as ascites.
Treatment of liver disease in dogs and recovery of liver failure
- Fluid therapy to treat or prevent dehydration.
- Antibiotics to eliminate a viral infection.
- Medications to control symptoms such as vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, or inflammation.
- Surgery may be an option for dogs with tumors or cysts.
If we talk about liver failure in dogs or can a dog recover from liver damage? Then its complete recovery depends on the early identification of the disease. It is reversible only when you get proper treatment before the liver reaches this terminal stage, the damaged liver can be recovered by itself to the point where your dog has a normal liver function. The recovery of the damaged liver depends on its exact cause.